Here’s the third of the town’s wonderful old churches, this one now redundant and under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. Its origins are unclear but by the 14th century was under the control of the hereditary constables of Normandy, the Humet family who had been lords of Stamford since 1156. It became the first Stamford church to be affected by the Anglo Catholic or Tractarian movement though this group moved to St Mary’s in 1890. The graveyard has a fine collection of stones mostly carved from Lincolnshire limestone. It has some fine woodcarving and wonderfully colourful angels in the nave roof.
Memorials including to Malcolm Sargeant
Stained glass window and altar
Statue of Our Lady
Some fine wood carving on bench ends and a corbel outside
Monuments in the churchyard
And in the porch